The School Social Worker's Wellness Corner

Welcome to the Wellness Corner! This is the place where parents can go to learn about emotional issues that may affect their children. Ms. Hubbell is the School Social Worker at Nixon this year and is here as a resource for you and your family.
Life is a journey with many twists and turns. Each year brings new experiences that bring both pleasant and unpleasant feelings that the entire family goes through. Life requires change and adjustments for students and their families, regardless of background. Some students can attend school, maintain good grades and friendships while experiencing difficulties outside of the classroom. Many students, however, struggle to manage school, friends, and the feelings that they're experiencing when going through something difficult. Counseling is a place where students can feel safe to discuss feelings that are impacting their well-being and school performance. 
What is counseling?
Counseling is a place where student can speak to a mental health professional regarding their feelings, difficult life experiences. Counseling is also a place where students can learn life skills, like social skills or self-control. Counseling sessions can last anywhere from 30-45 minutes and can be done one-on-one or in a group facilitated by the mental health professional.
Who does the counseling?
Ms. Hubbell, an Associate Marriage and Family Therapist. Please see the "About Ms. Hubbell" tab to learn more.
Is counseling confidential? Even at school?
Counseling is confidential, with three (3) exceptions:
1. Someone says that they want to kill him/herself.
2. Someone says that they want to kill another person.
3. If an adult is abusing a child or if an adult is abusing an older or dependent adult. This includes: physical abuse, emotional abuse, and sexual abuse. 
At school, the student's teacher will know that the student is in counseling because Ms. Hubbell arranges a time with the teacher for the student to leave class to receive counseling. 
What if I don't want school-based counseling?
People commonly see a therapist through their insurance or pay out of pocket. Ms. Hubbell can refer you to a therapist outside of the school setting. Please contact her to ask for a referral for a therapist outside of the school setting. 
If you have a life-threatening emergency, please dial 911.